Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dailies: "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves"

I've been catching up on my short story podcasts, including this extraordinary story by Karen Russell,  read by Joanna Gleason at Symphony Space.  It's a tale about the children of werewolves (the condition skips a generation) being rehabbed by nuns at a Catholic home, for an attempt to return to civilization, and is at turns both hilarious and heartbreaking.  

I didn't like the cover of the actual book (yes, I do judge books by their covers, like Stuart Murdoch).

This is how I re-imagined it.



State 1 contains a big typo: in a classic Freudian slip,  I switched out "Home" for "School", which considering that the month of April was mostly spent at
MICA, weekends included, is uncannily accurate.  The correct title is St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves.

Yeah, I should have checked before I inked, but it's a pretty snazzy looking mistake.




State 2: Playing around with layers. The top layer is not quite as vibrant as I hoped. I'd be happier with the transparency if the colors were a bit brighter. I don't like the author's name on the bottom: could use more ingenuity!

No comments:

Post a Comment